Today I’ll write down a small list of common sense points to keep in mind so you can avoid getting into trouble in social situations.
- Pretty simple one; Avoid confrontation when you can.
- Don’t aggravate the situation any further. Control your temper and Deescalate. If you already are in an unfortunate and unavoidable situation. (Which is less likely to happen if you don‘t hang around the wrong kinds of people, refer to point no.10).
- This relates to point no.2. Don’t say anything to aggravate the already angry individual, especially by telling them to calm down or challenging them to do something.
- Have a polite, friendly, calm demeanor. (This is just a basic societal mannerism).
- Don’t let your ego do the talking, especially when you can‘t back it up with actions.
- Think before you say anything to anyone, especially if they‘re someone you don‘t know, because you don‘t know how they will react to it.
- Never drink so much that doing something stupid seems like a great idea.
- Never drink so much that you can’t stand without doing the mambo.
- If at a party, be careful of what you eat or drink, always keep one hand on the glass or bottle.
- Don’t hang around individuals who are trouble magnets or trouble seekers.
- Many social fights have started due to an individual being disrespectful to someone or someone’s girlfriend or wife. So as a general rule, be respectful towards women… and people in general, unless given a reason not to, in which case, slowly back out and walk away rather than engage, you don‘t know what the other individual is capable of.
- If you’re going to a club or a bar, be respectful to the security personnel there, they‘re just doing their job, it’s a hard job, so don’t make it any harder for them. If you do, you will have your ass handed to you on a silver platter and you’ll ruin their day in the process. No one wins here.
- Follow the establishment rules, everyone is there to have fun, not witness your drama.
- Now this one should be common sense, but hey, so are all the above points, so here it is, DON’T DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL.. or anything you wouldn’t want everyone on the internet to see, ‘mkay?
- This one is the most important one (and the most obvious one) – Use common sense.
To sum it all up, it finally comes down to one thing, as Marc MacYoung put it, “Don’t be an asshole“. Oh and the other saying as well, the one about not going to stupid places, where stupid people do stupid things.
Well, that’s about it. Thanks for reading!